Online shopping safety tips
August 2, 2017
When you’re shopping online, take steps to protect your personal information and ensure you’re using reliable sites.
Smart online shopping tips include:
- Check out websites you plan to use. Read reviews and check for complaints on file with the Ohio Attorney General’s Office or Better Business Bureau to find out what other people have to say about the site.
- Consider paying with a credit card. Paying with a credit card generally gives you added protections if something goes wrong. Federal law allows consumers to dispute unauthorized credit card charges within 60 days after the first bill containing the error was mailed. Debit card providers are not required to offer the same protections.
- Use secure websites. Whenever you need to enter personal information or conduct financial transactions online, make sure you’re using secure websites. While every web address begins with an “http” prefix, look for websites that use “https” and/or a lock symbol to help ensure a website has security features.
- Be careful on public Wi-Fi. When using public Wi-Fi, assume everyone can see what you’re doing. Don’t enter personal information or passwords when using an unsecured public Wi-Fi network.
- Research apps before downloading them. Only use official app stores to download applications. Downloading free apps from unknown sources may lead to malware and put your personal information at risk. Also, make sure you are comfortable with the permissions an app may require you to provide; understand how your information will be used and shared. If you no longer use an app, delete it.