October 26, 2017
Exercise caution on social media. Follow these suggestions to protect yourself when using social media sites:
- Social media websites and apps each have their own default, or automatic privacy settings that control what you share. Familiarize yourself with the settings, understand what they mean, and know how to change them to meet your privacy needs.
- Privacy settings on one type of device may not carry over to your other devices. Be sure you’re comfortable with the settings for all devices you use to connect to social media.
- Know whom you’re sharing with on each site and device you use.
- Don’t give out more personal information than necessary.
- Think about how others could use the information you share.
- Understand how your information will be used, saved, and shared, even after you’re done visiting the site or using the app.
- If you’re a parent, look at the age restrictions of the social media your children use and monitor their usage of such sites.